Tetanus is one of those vaccines EVERYONE KNOWS you MUST have. But most of us have never thought about if there is scientific evidence to support this idea. We assume the doctors and scientists have all done their research and “they wouldn’t tell us to get it if it weren’t needed and weren’t good for us.”
Unfortunately, the need for pharmaceutical companies to make a profit for their shareholders, sometimes overrides their understanding and transmission of clear scientific facts. Independent research is very rare and most doctors receive their training through pharmaceutical funded medical schools. Much of what they learn is great. It’s hard to know where the true facts and where the indoctrination lie.
I remember the first time I heard someone say that EVEN TETANUS IS AN UNNECESSARY SHOT. I was very surprised and thus began my research to find out the facts for myself.
I’m not sure how many doctors have really looked into the scientific evidence or if they just read in their textbooks and follow the protocols.
I’m certainly not trying to tell anyone what to do, but I just thought I would provide a few links so you can find more information from people a lot smarter than I am. This will also serve as a great reference for me to come and find all my tetanus info in one place!
1. An article: If you only want to read one link, this might be the one: Why You Never Need A Tetanus Vaccine, Regardless of Your Age or Location by Dave Mihalovic. This is a thoroughly documented thoughtful look at fact and fiction regarding the tetanus shot. A MUST READ for every parent by a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in vaccine research, cancer prevention and a natural approach to treatment.
2. A Video: Great detailed information by Dr Sherri Tenpenny’s brief video. Dr Tennpenny has logged over 18,000 hours in vaccine research in addition to her medical training and experience. She is someone who reads ALL the details and explains what she learns in an understandable way. She once gave out “tetanus shots” like candy in the ER. Now she explains the science.
3. Another video: 11 minutes on Tetanus, Prevention, Wound Care and Vitamin C by Dr Suzanne Humphries. An internal medicine specialist who began to listen to her patients when they responded with vaccine injuries and has spent years of her life devoted to the truth about vaccines, illness and the route to true health.
4. Very well stated points here by Emily, a.k.a. Holistic Squid, who lives in the mountains above Malibu, CA; a mom, acupuncturist, and blogger in love with real food and healthy living. Sometimes moms have done more research than doctors – they take their role as protector of their child’s health very seriously.
5. A good summary with more links to explore by Guggie Daily, a blogger who provides a fresh, evidence-based perspective for today’s parents on a variety of early childhood topics.
6. More research: One of my favorite bloggers who researches, thinks and expresses herself really clearly! Jessica Gianelloni who summarizes what she has discovered in The Truth About Tetanus. [This link is currently not working as Jessica has had to make changes in her website. I am leaving it in with the hope that it will be available in the future]
7. An article by Tetyana Obukhanych, Ph.D. in Immunology, tetanus-shot-how-do-we-know-that-it-works?
8. An article by an evidence based blogger, The Healthy Home Economist, in which she shares her personal story of receiving a tetanus shot (actually Td) and experiencing a vaccine injury resulting in neuralgia leading her to embark on a journey of serious research.
9. And yet another summary of research by a seasoned thinking mother, who also answers practical questions like how to avoid tetanus, and what to do if you suspect tetanus, in her article A Dose of Reality.
10. A Naturopathic understanding and approach to treating tetanus is outlined here by Ingri Cassel, Director, Vaccination Liberation, an organization dedicated to providing truth about vaccines.
Finally, it is critically important to understand that when you or your child are offered a “tetanus” shot in an emergency room situation because of some sort of injury that has been sustained, the shot they are actually offering is not a “tetanus only” vaccine. It will be some sort of combination vaccine, either TD (with diphtheria) or DTP, TDaP or DTaP. In all cases you will be getting much more than you bargained for and every shot contains other ingredients which could cause a response or injury in your body. There is no direct compensation, from either the manufacturer or doctor who administers the shot, for any injury you may experience after receiving it. They are protected from all liability, but you can file a claim with the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program within 3 years of the injury.
Next time I have a parent desperately wanting to figure out their wisest choice regarding tetanus, I can refer them to this page! My doctor friend summed it up like this:
In a nut shell, the spore can only release toxin under anaerobic conditions. Blood and air contains oxygen, allow the wound to bleed, clean wound with hydrogen peroxide, if stitches are not required let the area heal itself. When oxygen is present no spore can survive and thus no tetanus.
This mom summed it up pretty well – and showed who actually knew and understood more about tetanus.
One mom shares her horrific experience of being offered a “tetanus” shot in the ER and how it impacts her precious child.
30 ways in 30 Days: Day 9
A series of blogs about vaccines.
- Day 8: Number of Vaccines
- Day 7: Calling All Christians
- Day 6: Choosing Wisely
- Day 5: Our Microbiome
- Day 4: Voices of Reason
- Day 3: It’s not just Autism
- Day 2: Can good people confidently give bad advice?
- Day 1: Who do you trust?
Author: Becky Hastings, wife, mother, grandmother, passionate follower of Jesus and truth. As a breastfeeding counselor for over 23 years Becky is devoted to helping parents make wise decisions for the long-term health and wellbeing of their babies. As a member of a Vaccine Safety Education Coalition, Becky writes and speaks on the topic of vaccine safety.