Formaldehyde is added to vaccines as a tissue fixative, and as a preservative. Formaldehyde is oxidized in the human body to become formic acid. Formic acid is the main ingredient of bee and ant venom. Concentrated, it is corrosive and an irritant. While absorbing the oxygen of the body, it may lead to acidosis, nerve, liver and kidney damage. According to the National Research Council, between 10 – 20% of the general population may be susceptible to extreme formaldehyde toxicity, and may violently react to exposure at any level. Formaldehyde is ranked as one of the most hazardous compounds on ecosystems and human health, according to the Environmental Defense Fund. These findings are merely for environmental exposure, and therefore, the dangers are much greater with the formaldehyde included in vaccines, since it is injected directly into the blood.
The CDC admits, in regards to environmental formaldehyde exposure, that age is a critical factor: “Formaldehyde exposure is a special concern for children and the elderly. Children may become sensitive to formaldehyde more easily, which may make it more likely they will become sick.” [bold added]
It is important to know what impact formaldehyde can have since Formaldehyde or Formalin are excipients used in the manufacture of the following vaccines: 
DTaP (all brands)
DTaP-Hep B-PPV (Pediarix)
DT (all brands)
Td (all brands)
Hepatitis A (Havrix, Vaqta)
Hepatitis A-Hepatitis B (Twinrix)
Hib-Hepatitis B (Comvax)
Influenza (Fluzone, Fluarix, FluLaval)
Japanese encephalitis (JE-Vax)
Polio-virus inactivated (Ipol)
Tdap (Adacel, Boostrix)
The known effects of environmental formaldehyde exposure are:
Eye, nasal, throat and pulmonary irritation
Acute sense of smell due to altered tissue proteins
Blood in urine
Burns nasal and throat
Palpitations and arrhythmias
Central nervous system depression
Changes in higher cognitive functions
Chest pains and tightness
Destruction of red blood cells
Flu-like or “common cold” illness
Frequent urination with pain
Hyperactive airway disease
Immune system sensitizer
Impaired (short) attention span
Impaired capacity to attain attention
Inability or difficulty swallowing
Inability to recall words and names
Inconsistent I.Q. profiles
Inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs
Aches and swelling
Loss of memory
Loss of sense of smell
Loss of taste
Menstrual and testicular pain
Muscle spasms and cramps
Crusting and mucosa inflammation
Numbness and tingling of the forearms and finger tips
Pale clammy skin
Partial laryngeal paralysis
Post nasal drip
Reduced body temperature
Retarded speech pattern
Ringing or tingling in the ear
Sensitivity to sound
Short term memory loss
Shortness of breath
CDC shares information about formaldehyde in the vaccines recommended for infants and assures us that: “while chemicals are added to vaccines to inactivate a virus or bacteria and stabilize the vaccine, helping to preserve the vaccine and prevent it from losing its potency over time, the amount of chemical additives found in vaccines is very small.”
Additionally, there has been a lot of discussion regarding thimerosal, a form of mercury which is a highly dangerous neurotoxin, in vaccines. The CDC assures us that “pediatric vaccines manufactured for the U.S. market are available in formulations that contain no thimerosal or only trace amounts.”
I have two problems with this, firstly a trace amount of a known highly toxic neurotoxin is too much to inject into anyone. Secondly, if it’s not ok to inject babies in the USA with thimerosal, it’s not ok to inject babies in any other country with it either.
CDC is aware that formaldehyde is a dangerous environmental toxin and has a fact sheet, “What you Should Know About Formaldehyde“:
“Some people are more sensitive than others, so an exposure that causes no problems for some people can make other people sick or uncomfortable.”
“In general −
- If you are more sensitive to formaldehyde and are exposed to more of it for a longer time, you are more likely to have symptoms.
- If you are exposed to less formaldehyde for a shorter time, you are less likely to have symptoms, especially if you are not sensitive to formaldehyde.
“Formaldehyde is known to cause cancer. The cancer of greatest concern is cancer of the nose and throat. Scientific research has not yet shown that a certain level of formaldehyde exposure causes cancer. However, the higher the level and the longer the exposure, the greater the chance of getting cancer. Exposure to formaldehyde might increase the chance of getting cancer even at levels too low to cause symptoms.” [bold added]
From the CDCs Ingredients of Vaccines Fact Sheet:
“Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production. Most formaldehyde is removed from the vaccine before it is packaged.”
I don’t know about you, but if I knew a glass had been rinsed with formaldehyde, but MOST of it had been removed, I don’t think I would be drinking out of that glass. In the same way I couldn’t inject my child with something knowing that “most” of the formaldehyde has been removed.
Additionally, the CDC admits in the Ingredients of Vaccines Fact Sheet: 1) some people should not receive vaccines; 2) parents should request the vaccine package insert and study the list of ingredients and the known adverse reactions; and 3) Health problems after vaccination should be reported.
“What You Can Do
- To find out what chemical additives are in specific vaccines, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a copy of the vaccine package insert, which lists all ingredients in the vaccine and discusses any known adverse reactions.
- To ensure the safety of vaccines, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other Federal agencies routinely monitor and conduct research to examine any new evidence that would suggest possible problems with the safety of vaccines. To keep abreast of the latest information, continue to reference these materials.
- To report a health problem that followed vaccination you or your provider should call the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) at 1-800-822-7967.” 
It is common sense that a known extremely toxic ingredient – in ANY amount – could indeed cause serious problems. Considering the long list of health impacts that formaldehyde is known to have, and the number of vaccines which are known to contain it, and the fact that there has never been any study on what the combined impact of ALL those vaccines might be on infants, it is only sensible to say “no thanks.”
Common sense isn’t always that common – especially for those who have been confined to a laboratory or focussing on their profit & loss statements. Parents know better. Parents know how to protect their babies.
Take your time. Do the research necessary for you to make a confident decision in what is best for the health of your baby.
Becky Hastings, a wife, mom, grandmother, passionate follower of Jesus, health promoter, breastfeeding counsellor helping moms for 22+ years, and someone who seeks to research, understand and share truth so people can make wise choices in our crazy mixed up, deceived world!
1. CDC Environmental Health & ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/drywall/docs/whatyoushouldknowaboutformaldehyde.pdf
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Ingredients of Vaccines – Fact Sheet, http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm
3. CDC – Pinkbook: Index – Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases, http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/index.html
4. Vactruth.com Formaldehyde in Vaccines, http://vactruth.com/2012/02/07/formaldehyde-vaccines-dna-adduct/