This recipe is very flexible. It is probably most like a vinaigrette dressing. I will give approximate quantities, but feel free to be creative. The basic concept is that you use equal parts of oil and vinegar, a bit of sweetener (I prefer local raw honey), herbs, spices and flavorings of your choice. I will give measurements below, but just know that I NEVER measure anything. I use the highest quality ingredients I can afford at the time.
- ½ Cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- ½ Cup apple cider vinegar (or a mixture of ACV and balsamic vinegar, or just balsamic vinegar)
- ±1 Tablespoon raw organic honey
- 1-2 teaspoons plain yogurt (or homemade milk kefir)
- 1-2 teaspoons prepared mustard with no HFCS
- ±2 Tablespoons water (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (Himalayan pink crystal preferred)
- a few turns of ground mixed pepper (any pepper will do)
- Choose some or all of the following options: basil, cilantro, garlic clove, spring onions, baby tomatoes, avocado, etc. I only add tomatoes and avocados when I am blending it.
No blender version: Add everything (chop garlic) into a suitable bottle and shake (like the EVOO bottle when it is finished).
Blender version: Add everything except the olive oil and blend until smooth. Add olive oil and blend minimally.
The salad dressing stores well in the refrigerator. If it runs low, you can always just add a little bit of ACV and EVOO and give it a bit of a shake for a final round of goodness!
This has been a family favorite since 1980 when a Swiss couple shared it with us. All of our kids love this salad dressing and make it themselves too. It is a staple for the many different types of salads we make. You can save yourself enormous amounts of money by making your own. There is no salad dressing that will taste better or be better for you! I just can’t see any reason why anyone would ever buy salad dressing when this is sooooo good and soooooo easy!